Is text a large part of your life? Do you write blog posts, code Web pages, search through log files, generate database reports, and regularly look for needles in textual haystacks? The best tool on the Mac for those tasks is BBEdit, from Bare Bones Software. But BBEdit is a deep program, and even long-time users are often unaware of BBEdit's productivity enhancing features, such as clippings, text completion, projects, integration with FTP and version control software, sophisticated HTML/CSS preview, and more.
Take Control of BBEdit explains how to use BBEdit 10 to accomplish real-world tasks more efficiently than ever before. The book focuses on three main areas of usage: essential text-processing features for all BBEdit users, working with HTML from the level of the individual tag all the way to a dynamic Web site, and managing multi-resource projects.
Read this 199-page ebook to learn how to:
Set up BBEdit for maximum efficiency:
- Configure key standard and expert preferences for optimal usage.
- Sync BBEdit settings and support files between Macs using Dropbox.
- Create text factories that automate sequences of text processing commands.
- Create "clippings" of boilerplate text, complete with dynamic placeholders.
- Use Dropbox or a version control system to track versions of documents.
Start work on the right track:
- Collect multiple resources--including files, folders, and URLs--into a single project window.
- Use BBEdit's many options for opening and saving files.
- Work with remote files via BBEdit's FTP/SFTP browser windows.
Type faster, search better, and automate repetitive bits:
- Control BBEdit with keyboard shortcuts.
- Write faster with text completion of words, code snippets, HTML tags, and more.
- Clean up text with spurious tabs, incorrect case, gremlin characters, and more.
- Search for and replace text across multiple documents at once.
- Learn how to use grep pattern matching for powerful searches.
- Write in Markdown, and preview Markdown documents.
Compare and collaborate effectively:
- Discover best practices for commenting and revision tracking.
- Compare multiple versions of documents.
Run your Web site like a wizard:
- Create HTML and CSS files using BBEdit's effective, extensive markup tools.
- Preview dynamic pages locally with user-defined preview templates.
- Clean up old or badly coded Web pages.
- Build Web sites using templates and includes.
- Connect BBEdit to Fetch, Interarchy, or Transmit to edit remote files.
- Maintain Web sites in BBEdit using four different workflows.