Enhance your Solr indexing experience with advanced techniques and the built-in functionalities available in Apache Solr
About This Book
- Learn about distributed indexing and real-time optimization to change index data on fly
- Index data from various sources and web crawlers using built-in analyzers and tokenizers
- This step-by-step guide is packed with real-life examples on indexing data
Who This Book Is For
This book is for developers who want to increase their experience of indexing in Solr by learning about the various index handlers, analyzers, and methods available in Solr. Beginner level Solr development skills are expected.
What You Will Learn
- Get to know the basic features of Solr indexing and the analyzers/tokenizers available
- Index XML/JSON data in Solr using the HTTP Post tool and CURL command
- Work with Data Import Handler to index data from a database
- Use Apache Tika with Solr to index word documents, PDFs, and much more
- Utilize Apache Nutch and Solr integration to index crawled data from web pages
- Update indexes in real-time data feeds
- Discover techniques to index multi-language and distributed data in Solr
- Combine the various indexing techniques into a real-life working example of an online shopping web application
Apache Solr is a widely used, open source enterprise search server that delivers powerful indexing and searching features. These features help fetch relevant information from various sources and documentation. Solr also combines with other open source tools such as Apache Tika and Apache Nutch to provide more powerful features.
This fast-paced guide starts by helping you set up Solr and get acquainted with its basic building blocks, to give you a better understanding of Solr indexing. You'll quickly move on to indexing text and boosting the indexing time. Next, you'll focus on basic indexing techniques, various index handlers designed to modify documents, and indexing a structured data source through Data Import Handler.
Moving on, you will learn techniques to perform real-time indexing and atomic updates, as well as more advanced indexing techniques such as de-duplication. Later on, we'll help you set up a cluster of Solr servers that combine fault tolerance and high availability. You will also gain insights into working scenarios of different aspects of Solr and how to use Solr with e-commerce data.
By the end of the book, you will be competent and confident working with indexing and will have a good knowledge base to efficiently program elements.
Style and approach
This fast-paced guide is packed with examples that are written in an easy-to-follow style, and are accompanied by detailed explanation. Working examples are included to help you get better results for your applications.