Over 60 hands-on recipes to perform server virtualization and manage virtualized server solutions with Proxmox
About This Book
- Learn the process of installing, configuring, and managing Proxmox clusters
- Explore ways of integrating various storage systems with Proxmox
- Step-by-step and easy-to-learn instructions to build virtual environments of any size using Proxmox
Who This Book Is For
This book is perfect for system administrators who want to learn to implement and administer Proxmox VE environments. Since this book will not cover the basics of Proxmox, a basic understanding of virtualization and networking with Proxmox VE is required.
What You Will Learn
- Install and configure an enterprise grade, cluster-based virtual environment using Proxmox
- Manage a cluster with Graphical User Interface using datacenter, node, KVM, and OpenVZ menus among others
- Learn different ways of configuring your network and clusters to create complex cloud services
- Configure and manage the built-in Proxmox firewall to protect your virtual environment
- Integrate storage systems such as Ceph, Sheepdog, and ZFS for virtual machine management to suit your business needs
- Backup and restore your data via stop suspend, and snapshot modes
- Upgrade a Proxmox node with new releases and apply update patches through GUI or CLI
- Monitor the resources and virtual machines to maintain performance and uptime
- Explore commands used for Proxmox and Ceph cluster through CLI
Proxmox VE goes head to head with big virtualization platforms without bearing the overheads of high costs and vendor lock-ins. Rock solid stability and extremely easy manageability gives Proxmox VE an edge in the world of virtualization. The Proxmox cluster file system (pmxcfs) is designed uniquely for storage of configuration files with high security and reliability. Its simplicity and robustness make it easy for system administrators to manage their systems efficiently.
Proxmox VE's intuitive interface, high availability, and unique central management system puts it on par with the world's best virtualization platforms. Its simplicity and high quality of service is what makes it the foremost choice for most system administrators.
Starting with a step-by-step installation of Proxmox nodes along with an illustrated tour of Proxmox graphical user interface where you will spend most of your time managing a cluster, this book will get you up and running with the mechanisms of Proxmox VE. Various entities such as Cluster, Storage, and Firewall are also covered in an easy to understand format. You will then explore various backup solutions and restore mechanisms, thus learning to keep your applications and servers safe. Next, you will see how to upgrade a Proxmox node with a new release and apply update patches through GUI or CLI.
Monitoring resources and virtual machines is required on an enterprise level, to maintain performance and uptime; to achieve this, we learn how to monitor host machine resources and troubleshoot common issues in the setup. Finally, we will walk through some advanced configurations for VM followed by a list of commands used for Proxmox and Ceph cluster through CLI.
With this focused and detailed guide you will learn to work your way around with Proxmox VE quickly and add to your skillset.
Style and approach
This book is an inclusive and extensive handbook. It takes a pragmatic approach to complement your system admin skills and accomplish tasks within the Proxmox environment. It consists of illustrations and code-files to help you work with the data as you go from one recipe to the other.