Develop stunning web application projects with the Django framework
About This Book
- Build six exciting projects and use them as a blueprint for your own work
- Extend Django's built-in models and forms to add common functionalities into your project, without reinventing the wheel
- Gain insights into the inner workings of Django to better leverage it
Who This Book Is For
If you are a Django web developer able to build basic web applications with the framework, then this book is for you. This book will help you gain a deeper understanding of the Django web framework by guiding you through the development of six amazing web applications.
What You Will Learn
- Share code between a client-facing application and Django's admin
- Combine client and server-side code for enhanced functionality
- Geo-enable your models to provide common functionality based on geography
- Add a REST API to your models to allow other applications to interact with your code
- Future-proof your code with unit and functional tests
- Add e-commerce capabilities to your site, build a shopping cart, and issue refunds
- Process information asynchronously using Web Sockets to provide a real-time user interface
Django is a high-level web framework that eases the creation of complex, database-driven websites. It emphasizes on the reusability and pluggability of components, rapid development, and the principle of don't repeat yourself. It lets you build high-performing, elegant web applications quickly.
There are several Django tutorials available online, which take as many shortcuts as possible, but leave you wondering how you can adapt them to your own needs. This guide takes the opposite approach by demonstrating how to work around common problems and client requests, without skipping the important details. If you have built a few Django projects and are on the lookout for a guide to get you past the basics and get you solving modern development tasks, this is your book.
Six unique projects will take you through the development process from scratch, leaving no stone unturned. In the first two projects, you will learn everything from adding ranking and voting capabilities to your App to building geospatial queries and APIs. In the third project, we will build an e-commerce platform, complete with a payment processor, basic cart, checkout features, and more! Next, we will get into caching data asynchronously and create a real-time app capable of consuming live updates.
When you're done, you'll have consistent patterns and techniques that you can build on for many projects to come.
Style and approach
This easy-to-follow guide is full of examples that will take you through building six very different web applications with Django. The code is broken down into manageable bites and then thoroughly explained.