Enhance your skills in developing multi-touch applications with Kivy
About This Book
- Create most diverse apps and learn how to distribute them with the help of the Kivy framework
- Explore Kivy API to develop user interfaces and control multi-touch events
- Step-by-step recipes that provide deeper understanding of the Kivy 1.9.0 framework
- Build and use your own events, widgets and gestures using features and tools in Kivy
Who This Book Is For
This book is intended for developers who want to use features of the Kivy framework and develop multi-touch applications. Prior experience with Kivy is not required, although familiarity with Python is expected.
What You Will Learn
- Access widgets defined inside Kv language in your Python code
- Handle Kivy events to control widgets, touches, the mouse, the keyboard, and animations
- Recognize touch shapes and detecting multi-tapping
- Create custom events and declare properties
- Organizing your layouts while working with the ActionBar
- Store and retrieve the coordinate space context
- Create your own shader and render in a framebuffer
- Leverage Factory objects, multi-touch in iOS and multi-touch in Android
Kivy is an open-source Python library for rapid development of applications that make use of innovative user interfaces, such as multi-touch apps. It is a promising Python framework to develop UI and UX apps in a cross-platform environment, under the Python philosophy.
Kivy Cookbook is a practical book that will guide you through the Kivy framework to develop apps and get your apps ready for distribution in App Store and Android devices.
You will start off with installing Kivy and building your interfaces. You will learn how to work the accelerometer and create custom events. Then, you will understand how to use the basics, buttons, labels and text inputs and manipulate the widget tree. Next, you will be able to work with manipulating instructions, create an atlas and layouts. Moving on, you will learn packing for Windows and packing for iOS, and use TestDrive.
By the end of the book, you will have learnt in detail the relevant features and tools in Kivy and how to create portable packages to distribute your apps in the most used platforms.
Style and approach
This is an easy-to-follow practical guide packed with graspable recipes that cover important tasks to be performed while developing multi-touch applications with Kivy. All the code used in each recipe is explained in detail.