Master BeagleBone programming by doing simple electronics and Internet of Things projects
About This Book
- Learn about electronics components such as sensors and motors, and how to communicate with them by writing programs
- A step-by-step guide to explore the exciting world of BeagleBone?from connecting BeagleBone to doing electronics projects and creating IoT applications
Who This Book Is For
If you want to learn programming on embedded systems with BeagleBone by doing simple electronics projects, this book is for you. This book is also helpful to BeagleBone owners who want to quickly implement small-scale home automation solutions. It is assumed that you have familiarity with C and Python programming. Some familiarity with electronics is helpful but not essential.
What You Will Learn
- Connect your BeagleBone to a computer in different ways and get the Cloud9 IDE running to quick-start programming on the BeagleBone
- Get to know about BeagleBone extension pins such as GPIO and how to connect various electronics components with BeagleBone
- Read and write to various electronics components such as LED, Push-button, sensors, and motors
- Grasp in-depth theory on Analog, PWM, and BUS programming and the electronics components used in programs
- Handle data to and from various BUS supporting modules such as UART, I2C, and SPI using the Adafruit BBIO Python library
- Make use of online free cloud services to store and analyze sensor data collected on the BeagleBone
- Discover what else can be done using the BeagleBone
- Get to grips with embedded system BUS communication
The whole world is moving from desktop computers to smartphones and embedded systems. We are moving towards utilizing Internet of Things (IoT). An exponential rise in the demand for embedded systems and programming in the last few years is driving programmers to use embedded development boards such as Beaglebone.
First, you will learn to use BeagleBone as tool to write useful applications on embedded systems. Starting with the basics needed to set up BeagleBone and the Cloud9 IDE, this book covers interfacing with various electronics components via simple programs. The electronics theory related to these components is then explained in depth before you use them in a program. Finally, the book helps you create some real-life IoT applications.
Style and approach
An easy-to-follow guide full of real-world electronics programs and quick troubleshooting tips using BeagleBone. All the required electronics concepts are explained in detail before using them in a program and all programs are explained in depth. Most of the theory is covered in the first part; while the second part gives you some quick programs.