Moving beyond MapReduce - learn resource management and big data processing using YARN
About This Book
- Deep dive into YARN components, schedulers, life cycle management and security architecture
- Create your own Hadoop-YARN applications and integrate big data technologies with YARN
- Step-by-step guide to provision, manage, and monitor Hadoop-YARN clusters with ease
Who This Book Is For
This book is intended for those who want to understand what YARN is and how to efficiently use it for the resource management of large clusters. For cluster administrators, this book gives a detailed explanation of provisioning and managing YARN clusters. If you are a Java developer or an open source contributor, this book will help you to drill down the YARN architecture, write your own YARN applications and understand the application execution phases. This book will also help big data engineers explore YARN integration with real-time analytics technologies such as Spark and Storm.
What You Will Learn
- Explore YARN features and offerings
- Manage big data clusters efficiently using the YARN framework
- Create single as well as multi-node Hadoop-YARN clusters on Linux machines
- Understand YARN components and their administration
- Gain insights into application execution flow over a YARN cluster
- Write your own distributed application and execute it over YARN cluster
- Work with schedulers and queues for efficient scheduling of applications
- Integrate big data projects like Spark and Storm with YARN
Today enterprises generate huge volumes of data. In order to provide effective services and to make smarter and more intelligent decisions from these huge volumes of data, enterprises use big-data analytics. In recent years, Hadoop has been used for massive data storage and efficient distributed processing of data. The Yet Another Resource Negotiator (YARN) framework solves the design problems related to resource management faced by the Hadoop 1.x framework by providing a more scalable, efficient, flexible, and highly available resource management framework for distributed data processing.
This book starts with an overview of the YARN features and explains how YARN provides a business solution for growing big data needs. You will learn to provision and manage single, as well as multi-node, Hadoop-YARN clusters in the easiest way. You will walk through the YARN administration, life cycle management, application execution, REST APIs, schedulers, security framework and so on. You will gain insights about the YARN components and features such as ResourceManager, NodeManager, ApplicationMaster, Container, Timeline Server, High Availability, Resource Localisation and so on.
The book explains Hadoop-YARN commands and the configurations of components and explores topics such as High Availability, Resource Localization and Log aggregation. You will then be ready to develop your own ApplicationMaster and execute it over a Hadoop-YARN cluster.
Towards the end of the book, you will learn about the security architecture and integration of YARN with big data technologies like Spark and Storm. This book promises conceptual as well as practical knowledge of resource management using YARN.
Style and approach
Starting with the basics and covering the core concepts with the practical usage, this tutorial is a complete guide to learn and explore YARN offerings.