Master the complexities of Bash shell scripting and unlock the power of shell for your enterprise
About This Book
- Identify the high level steps such as verifying user input, using command lines and conditional statements in creating and executing simple shell scripts
- Create and edit dynamic shell scripts to manage complex and repetitive tasks
- Learn about scripting in Perl and programming in Python as a BASH scripting alternative with this practical, step-by-step guide
Who This Book Is For
Mastering Linux Shell Scripting has been written for Linux administrators who want to automate tasks in their daily lives, saving time and effort. You'll need to have command-line experience and be familiar with the tasks that you need to automate.
What You Will Learn
- Use the type command to identify the order of command evaluation
- Create interactive scripts that prompt for user input
- Foster menu structures for operators with little command-line experience
- Develop scripts that dynamically edit web configuration files to produce a new virtual host
- Write scripts that use AWK to search and reports on log files
- Draft effective scripts using functions as building blocks, reducing maintenance and build time
- Make informed choices by comparing different script languages such as Perl and Python with BASH
Shell scripting is a quick method to prototype a complex application or a problem by automating tasks when working on Linux-based systems. Using both simple one-line commands and command sequences complex problems can be solved with ease, from text processing to backing up sysadmin tools.
In this book, you'll discover everything you need to know to master shell scripting and make informed choices about the elements you employ. Get to grips with the fundamentals of creating and running a script in normal mode, and in debug mode. Learn about various conditional statements' code snippets, and realize the power of repetition and loops in your shell script. Implement functions and edit files using the Stream Editor, script in Perl, program in Python – as well as complete coverage of other scripting languages to ensure you can choose the best tool for your project.
Style and approach
The book will capture your attention and keep you engaged with the simplicity and clarity of each explanation. Every step is accompanied with screen captures so you can cross-check the results before moving on.