Create fast, scalable, and high performance applications with C#, ASP.NET Core 1.0, and MVC 6
About This Book
- Learn the importance of measuring, profiling, and locating the most impactful problems
- Discover the common areas you might encounter performance problems and areas you don't need to worry about
- Understand the differences between development workstations and production infrastructure and how these can amplify problems
- Design workflows that run asynchronously and are resilient to transient performance issues
Who This Book Is For
This book is for ASP.NET and C# developers who have experience with the MVC framework for web application development and are looking to deploy applications that will perform well in live production environments. These could be virtual machines or hosted by a cloud service provider such as AWS or Azure.
What You Will Learn
- Why performance matters and when it should be considered
- Use different tools to measure performance
- Spot common performance issues, their root causes, and how to easily mitigate them
- Improve performance at the network level and I/O level, and how to optimize the application as a whole
- Work with caching and message queuing tools, including patterns and strategies
- Discover the dark side of performance improvement and find out how to manage complexity
- Monitor performance as part of continuous integration and regression testing
- Assess and solve performance issues with other advanced technologies
ASP.NET Core is the new, open source, and cross-platform, web-application framework from Microsoft. It's a stripped down version of ASP.NET that's lightweight and fast. This book will show you how to make your web apps deliver high performance when using it.
We'll address many performance improvement techniques from both a general web standpoint and from a C#, ASP.NET Core, and .NET Core perspective. This includes delving into the latest frameworks and demonstrating software design patterns that improve performance.
We will highlight common performance pitfalls, which can often occur unnoticed on developer workstations, along with strategies to detect and resolve these issues early. By understanding and addressing challenges upfront, you can avoid nasty surprises when it comes to deployment time.
We will introduce performance improvements along with the trade-offs that they entail. We will strike a balance between premature optimization and inefficient code by taking a scientific- and evidence-based approach. We'll remain pragmatic by focusing on the big problems.
By reading this book, you'll learn what problems can occur when web applications are deployed at scale and know how to avoid or mitigate these issues. You'll gain experience of how to write high-performance applications without having to learn about issues the hard way.
You'll see what's new in ASP.NET Core, why it's been rebuilt from the ground up, and what this means for performance. You will understand how you can now develop on and deploy to Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux using cross-platform tools, such as Visual Studio Code.
Style and approach
Starting with a drill down into the nuts and bolts of various performance parameters, you will get an understanding of the ASP.NET MVC 6 framework with the help of rich code-based examples that will equip you to build highly scalable and optimized applications.