Master performance enhancement practices for Docker, and unlock faster and more efficient container deployment that will improve your development workflow
About This Book
- Implement a scalable Docker infrastructure that has been optimized for greater efficiency
- Tackle the challenges of large-scale container deployment with this fast-paced guide
- Extend your capabilities as a developer to take full advantage of Docker and containerization
Who This Book Is For
If you are a software developer with a good understanding of managing Docker services and the Linux file system and are looking for ways to optimize working with Docker containers, then this is the book for you.
What You Will Learn
- Tune your Dockerfiles and optimize the performance and size of your Docker containers
- Configure and tune your Docker hosts at scale with Chef
- Deploy containers without downtime using load balancers
- Listen to your Docker container and host logs with an ELK stack
- Monitor the performance of your Docker containers with collectd
- Benchmark the performance of your web application containers with Apache JMeter
- Troubleshoot and diagnose containers using standard Linux diagnostic tools
- Prepare for production with the most effective DevOps practices
Docker is a portable container format that allows you to run code anywhere from your desktop to the cloud. The workflow around Docker makes development, testing, and deployment much easier and much faster. However, it's essential that you know the best practices most techniques for optimization so Docker can help you deploy your application most effectively.
This comprehensive guide will improve your Docker workflows and will ensure your application's production environment runs smoothly. It starts with a short refresher on working with Docker, then you will learn how to take this basic knowledge to the next level by optimizing your Docker infrastructure and applications at scale. At the end of the book, we will put the concepts and everything you have learned about Docker's features into practice by rolling out supplementary monitoring and troubleshooting instrumentation to your infrastructure. All of these things will ensure your application succeeds using Docker.
Style and approach
This is a comprehensive guide on real-world Docker workflows, and each topic is explained in an easy step-by-step format, accompanied by screenshots where required.