Accelerate your development process using Drupal 8 Views with this advanced, practical guide
About This Book
- A practical, step-by-step guide with illustrative examples to give you a clear understanding of Drupal 8 views
- Get the only book on the market that talks about Drupal 8 views and their importance for developers
- Get an understanding of how views work and how they help to create modular applications
Who This Book Is For
This book is for web developers, web designers, and website administrators who use Drupal 8, have some basic knowledge of managing and developing apps with Drupal, and who want to get an advanced, practical knowledge of views and how to leverage them in Drupal 8 applications.
What You Will Learn
- Create displays of content that are automatically updated when you add new content
- Show maps and rotating image carousels on your site
- Combine content to create composite displays using the same data in different ways
- Use fields from more than one content type to create powerful views of multi-table data
- Modify the field data being displayed, combining it in different ways or changing the HTML that might be normally generated
- Add headers and footers above and below a views display
- Make the output of your view look exactly like the designer specifies
- Change the order in which a list of content is displayed, limit the content shown to only certain content types or values
- Filter content using values passed to the view in the URL, making a single view work different ways
Learn how to build complex displays of content?all without programming.
Views were used on more than 80% of all Drupal 7 sites; now they are part of the Drupal 8 core. While most site builders and site owners are aware of views, they don't understand how to take full advantage of their power to create many amazing pages and blocks. If they use views, they might build 10 different view displays with different filters, without knowing that a contextual filter would require only a single display.
Using our sample company, we'll take its existing content and evolve an ever more complex and powerful website for that company, starting with adapting the administration the user sees and moving on to making complex pages of information for site visitors.
While the book is written for Drupal 8, the similarities between Views in Drupal 7 and 8 make this a useful reference for Drupal 7 site builders also.
Style and approach
This is the only advanced resource that will show you how to create, customize, and manage views in the Drupal 8 development environment. This has become more important since Drupal 8 has made views part of its core architecture.