Build highly available and performant native web applications that seamlessly integrate with third-party APIs
About This Book
- Get straight into the action with step-by-step recipes that show you how to put Service Workers to work
- Find out what Service Workers can do for your app, then do it!
- Get the first in-depth look at this important new feature for web developers
Who This Book Is For
What You Will Learn
- Display a custom offline page
- Cache critical resources for offline use
- Implement offline Google Analytics
- Get network responses offline
- Implement push notifications
- Improve performance of your app
It would be nice to have web apps that work offline and send push notifications. This is now possible with Service Workers, which can add native-like functionality to your web apps without requiring a download.
This book will get your mobile and web apps functioning without Internet connectivity, improve performance and network interaction in order to increase the level of availability, and show you how to build performant applications that seamlessly integrate with third-party APIs.
We'll show you how to add Service Worker functionality to web apps and sites, access offline content through basic and advanced techniques, and build powerful interactive system notifications. We'll also teach you about cache functionality and assets to provide immediate load even over narrow connections. We conclude by giving you various tips to improve app performance, including the background sync technique.
By the end of this book, you'll know build high performing and faster web and mobile applications with Service Workers.
Style and approach
This book provides lots of task-oriented, practical, and inspiring ways to put Service Workers to work. Step-by-step instructions will guide you through every task.