Build amazing Internet of Things projects using the ESP8266 Wi-Fi chip
About This Book
- Get to know the powerful and low cost ESP8266 and build interesting projects in the field of Internet of Things
- Configure your ESP8266 to the cloud and explore the networkable modules that will be utilized in the IoT projects
- This step-by-step guide teaches you the basics of IoT with ESP8266 and makes your life easier
Who This Book Is For
This book is for those who want to build powerful and inexpensive IoT projects using the ESP8266 WiFi chip, including those who are new to IoT, or those who already have experience with other platforms such as Arduino.
What You Will Learn
- Control various devices from the cloud
- Interact with web services, such as Twitter or Facebook
- Make two ESP8266 boards communicate with each other via the cloud
- Send notifications to users of the ESP8266, via email, text message, or push notifications
- Build a physical device that indicates the current price of Bitcoin
- Build a simple home automation system that can be controlled from the cloud
- Create your own cloud platform to control ESP8266 devices
The Internet of Things (IoT) is the network of objects such as physical things embedded with electronics, software, sensors, and connectivity, enabling data exchange. ESP8266 is a low cost WiFi microcontroller chip that has the ability to empower IoT and helps the exchange of information among various connected objects. ESP8266 consists of networkable microcontroller modules, and with this low cost chip, IoT is booming. This book will help deepen your knowledge of the ESP8266 WiFi chip platform and get you building exciting projects.
Kick-starting with an introduction to the ESP8266 chip, we will demonstrate how to build a simple LED using the ESP8266. You will then learn how to read, send, and monitor data from the cloud. Next, you'll see how to control your devices remotely from anywhere in the world. Furthermore, you'll get to know how to use the ESP8266 to interact with web services such as Twitter and Facebook. In order to make several ESP8266s interact and exchange data without the need for human intervention, you will be introduced to the concept of machine-to-machine communication.
The latter part of the book focuses more on projects, including a door lock controlled from the cloud, building a physical Bitcoin ticker, and doing wireless gardening. You'll learn how to build a cloud-based ESP8266 home automation system and a cloud-controlled ESP8266 robot. Finally, you'll discover how to build your own cloud platform to control ESP8266 devices.
With this book, you will be able to create and program Internet of Things projects using the ESP8266 WiFi chip.
Style and approach
This is a step-by-step guide that provides great IOT projects with ESP8266. All the key concepts are explained details with the help of examples and demonstrations of the projects.