Microsoft's ASP.NET Community Starter Kit (CSK) is a powerful, freely available application that allows you to quickly create a fully featured community-driven website, complete with article and news management, downloads, forums, and user handling. Supported and tested by thousands of developers in the ASP.NET community across the world, the Community Starter Kit offers you the luxury of a scalable and extensible architecture, and the ability to brand your own site. This book will take you inside the Community Starter Kit, allowing you to harness its power for easily creating your own websites. The book is structured to help you understand, implement and extend the Community Starter Kit:
- Understand how the Community Starter Kit works.
- Build the skills to implement your own site.
- Develop the confidence to extend the system for your own needs.
With this book, you will learn how to:
- Install and configure the CSK
- Find your way around the CSKs towering range of features
- Create and administer community websites
- Become familiar with the common CSK ASP.NET controls
- Customize your CSK site
- Discover the secrets of the CSK core architecture
- Explore the inner workings of CSK modules
- Extend the CSK by creating new modules
- Customize existing modules with Web controls
- Add an RSS feed to share your content with others
- Deploy your CSK website
This book is for ASP.NET developers with a sound grasp of C# and access to Visual Studio .NET. This book uses the Visual Studio. NET version of the ASP.NET Community Starter Kit available from http://www.asp.net/StarterKits/
A complete and practical guide to delivering content-rich community-driven websites based on the freely available ASP.NET Community Starter Kit from Microsoft. Aimed at experienced ASP.NET developers with responsibility for delivering robust and feature-rich websites, fast and effectively. First the book gives you a clear understanding of the architecture of the application. Then, it walks you through the implementation process, outlining choices and techniques. Having mastered the standard application, youll learn how to customize and extend the framework to deliver customer features and to integrate with other applications.
This book isn't written as a standard tutorial, it has been broken down into two halves to give you full understanding of the Community Starter Kit and then the confidence to create, administer and customize your own site. The second half of the book includes plenty of code, but the emphasis is firmly on guiding you through the techniques to create, extend and customize your own module.
Who this book is for
This book has been written for ASP.NET developers with a sound grasp of C# and access to Visual Studio .NET. This book uses the Visual Studio. NET version of the ASP.NET Community Starter Kit.