Microsoft® Dynamics™ NAV (formerly known as Navision) is a well established Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) application, part of the Microsoft® Dynamics™ family.
Renowned for its challenging learning curve, Dynamics NAV is a complex piece of software with a unique design structure and, for developers learning to modify or enhance it for vital business purposes, the task can sometimes be overwhelming.
This book will ease you through the complexities of NAV application development. You will learn the skills and develop the confidence to tackle your own critical NAV applications. This book will act as your experienced NAV programming mentor, helping you to become productive as a NAV developer much more quickly.
From basic NAV terminology and concept definitions, through the essential building blocks of NAV data structure and objects, you will gain an understanding of the fundamental underlying concepts of NAV. You will learn practical details about NAV object construction and the tools available, including the Table, Form, and Report Designers. You will learn how to use NAV's tools to effectively navigate through the various features of objects, including properties, triggers, and C/AL code and receive practical guidance on ways to develop and test in the unique NAV C/SIDE development environment.
A section on software design for NAV is provided along with tips for efficient design of a new NAV application or enhancing an existing application. With its comprehensive collection of NAV information, this book is not only designed to help you learn, but can act as a reference as well.
Created especially for experienced programmers with no previous knowledge of NAV development, this book is for people who want to learn as quickly as possible to create, modify or maintain NAV applications.
Visit the Free Online Edition and read the full table of contents, including summaries of each chapter as well as chapter 1 in full.
Fast-paced and to-the-point, this book takes you through the important topics of Microsoft® Dynamics™ NAV with clear explanations and practical example code. The book's selection of topics is driven by what the working developer needs to know in order to become productive as quickly as possible.
Who this book is for
- The business applications software designer/developer who:
- Wants to become productive in NAV C/SIDE, C/AL development as quickly as possible
- Understands business applications and the associated software
- Has significant programming experience
- Has access to NAV including at least the Designer granules, preferably a full development license and a standard Cronus demo database
- Is willing to do the exercises to get hands-on experience
- The Reseller manager or executive who wants a concise, in depth view of NAV's development environment and tool set
- The technically knowledgeable manager or executive of a firm using NAV that is about to embark on a significant NAV enhancement project
- The technically knowledgeable manager or executive of a firm considering purchase of NAV as a highly customizable business applications platform
The reader of this book:
- Does not need to be expert in object-oriented programming
- Does not need to have previous experience with NAV